We offer internet checks as part of the recruitment process within schools, as recommended by the Department of Education.
We pride ourselves on our attention to detail and ability to complete checks quickly and efficiently, with results being returned by close of play the next working day.
Our focus is to ensure safeguarding is kept to a high standard as opposed to profit, meaning we offer cost effective and efficient checks.
Internet checks we offer
- Basic Internet Check – consisting of searching for the candidate on public available websites, excluding social media, for any adverse hits
- Enhanced Internet Check – consisting of both adverse media checks and social media checks, Social media checks will consist of searching across Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn for any adverse hits, over a 3-year period from the date the check is started
Why internet checks are important
An internet check reduces the risks to an organisation's reputation, confidentiality breach, and data security. The check identifies a candidate's online presence to look for a variety of potential negative behaviours.
Using external suppliers for these checks eliminates any potential bias formed against any protected characteristics if checked in-house. Using an independent third party is more consistent, faster and compliant as all checks are completed using the exact same process and tools.
Risk classifications checked
A multitude of risk classifications are checked on each platform. They are:
- extreme views or opinions
- hate or discriminatory behaviour
- illegal activities
- inappropriate or undesirable content
- potential addiction or substance abuse
- sexually explicit content
- violent content
The protected characteristics that cannot be used in any risk classifications are:
- race or ethnicity
- religion or belief
- political opinions
- sexual orientation
When we receive a request for an internet check, we:
- use the data supplied of the candidate to locate them on social media platforms
- locate if they have an online presence, a review is then initiated of all public posts and cross referenced against the risk classifications for all public information within the last 3 years
- send you a report outlining any potential flags and the details of those flags
All searches are made using public obtainable data i.e. any profile set to private, or any private information, cannot be viewed or used in this report.
Alternative online handles or usernames can be used by anyone creating an account on social media. So, if there is not an authentic match to the employee, no result will be logged. This is to ensure there are no false positives in the checking process.
We will only report factual public information checked against our risk classification criteria. It is down to you as the employer to decide if the information found would pose a risk for employment or not.
Information we need
To perform an internet check we would require information commonly found on a CV. Such as the candidates:
- full name
- personal email address
- mobile phone number
- employment history
We offer a range of packages to best suit your needs.
- Basic Internet Checks, include up to 6 basic Internet Checks for your shortlisted candidates – £30 +VAT
- Full Recruitment Checks, include up to 6 basic Internet Checks for your shortlisted candidates, plus 1 advanced Internet Check and 1 Enhanced DBS for your final candidate
- Internet Check, include up to 6 basic Internet Checks for your shortlisted candidates, plus 1 advanced Internet Check for your final candidate
- Standalone Checks, for single Basic and Enhanced Internet Checks on an ad-hoc basis
For further information, to enquire about pricing for Internet Checks, or our other employment vetting checks, please contact our customer service team on 03330 135 888 or email DBS.ServiceCentre@essex.gov.uk